New job search paradigm
The job search process has changed forever.
Today's job search has changed dramatically and if you are unaware of this new paradigm then you will be left behind in the recruitment process.
Most workforce participants have not conducted a job search for many years, and although the majority now have excellent technology skills it is far more complex than simply emailing your resume to a new employer.
The 21st century employment market has grown highly competitive and sophisticated. Inadequate knowledge and preparation can result in lost opportunities, frustration and rejection. People often settle for less with resultant loss in income, job satisfaction and career path.
- The resume/CV has been replaced as the most important document...it is now a secondary component
- LinkedIn (and Google to certain extent) is THE CORE of your job search, with your LinkedIn profile now being the "go to resource" for recruiters and hiring managers
- The resume has become a summary document, with LinkedIn providing a more detailed online marketing presentation that is always available online for review
- Social media now reigns supreme in the job search process, and if you are not social media savvy then you will be obscure and irrelevant to today's recruiters and hiring managers
- Cover letters and resumes aren't read on paper anymore. Computerised Application Tracking Systems (ATS) are widely used to manage applications
- Optimising your applications and knowing how ATS systems work is critical to getting noticed and being invited to interview
- It is also vital that you focus on industry sectors that have growth (not contraction) so that you have an excellent chance of advancing your career over the coming years
- Discover vital information on the specific skills necessary and needed in today’s job market, and what is your "value offer" to the employment market
- Career development success is achieved not just in knowing the right strategies, but in applying them in a consistent, systematic and proven manner
- Multiple factors including your personal values and aspirations need to be addressed, and if you get just one factor wrong then disastrous consequences may follow
It is a new world in the recruitment process...ensure that you don't get left behind and become irrelevant to employers. Technology is a wonderful thing, especially if you’re in career transition and/or looking for a new job. Perhaps you don’t know how to conduct a contemporary job search...so much has changed!
"A person without ambition is like a lifeless object and when you work with ambition, no goal is difficult to achieve" - Anurag Prakash Ray