Expatriate career development can be complex and many struggles...are you well prepared to navigate the employment market in Australia and other countries?
Many expatriates miss important career opportunities due to lack of preparation and local knowledge. Try to implement the following actions into your daily schedule then you won't miss out:
- Be ready to tell your expatriate career success in 1 - 2 minutes
- Invest in yourself with ongoing education, training & professional development
- Develop yourself as an expert in an area or issue that is important to the company
- Be willing to ask for information, expertise or help
- Specialise! Develop one or more skills that will be in demand for several years
- Be open to opportunity; you never know when or where it will reveal itself
- In every job you hold keep details of your accomplishments & improvements
- First impressions are the key factor in expatriate career success at any level
- Hire a professional when you want help in the complex task of expatriate career development
- Keep current with your target market by reading what leaders in it are writing
- State in 30 seconds or less what it is you offer and why you are an ideal FIT for the job
- The danger of playing it safe with your expatriate career are silent killers
- It is important to know where you are going with your career so that you can plan
- Smart expatriate job seekers identify & clarify their target market
- Don't be de-railed by the lack of support from others...your career is your responsibility
- Retain accolades, awards, commendations & course certificates
- Effective communication conveys your professionalism & confidence
- It is essential to re-energise yourself & take a new look at life
- Offering your expertise rather than "selling yourself" puts you in a different light
- Keep your online profiles up to date; recruiters & employers are always on the lookout
- Matching your skills, passions, values, talents and experience to job and career options is imperative
- By leveraging your network in the proper way, you may never have to look for a job again
- Your network is your most valuable career asset...far more important than a résumé. Nurture your connections both in Australia and overseas
- Join a local professional association in your industry and become active
Let ACMA assist you to develop your expatriate career quickly and professionally.
ACMA creates successful career-paths through detailed individual assessment, research and job market analysis, combined with expert personalised coaching.
Note: A Career Development Association of Australia research paper found that when professional career guidance occurred that the participant was 2.67 times more likely to secure a job.
All program services can be delivered via our interactive online cloud-based career management "Career Talk" system and/or "one-on-one" in our Sydney, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Canberra, Melbourne, Cairns or Auckland offices.
Comments posted below are PUBLIC, if you wish to make a private comment or query please use the form on our contact page.